It’s that time of yr once more! Time for a little bit of enjoyable in anticipation of the primary Hawaii humpback whale sighting!
1000’s of humpback whales migrate to present delivery and mate in Hawaii’s heat, sheltered waters. The very peak of the season runs from January by way of March, however some whales arrive earlier and others stick round later. Try our article about humpback whale season in Hawaii to study extra particulars.
Though humpback whale season in months away, some humpbacks simply can’t wait to get to Hawaii. (Are you able to relate?) Some whales arrive as early as September or October. Listed below are the dates of the first-recorded sightings lately:
2006 – October 11
2007 – October 7
2008 – October 8
2009 – October 20
2010 – October 20
2011 — September 26
2012 — August 30
2013 — October 5
2014 — September 16
2015 — September 29
2016 – August 25
2017 — October 10
2018 — October 8
2019 — October 1
2020 — October 8
2021 — September 29
So, now, let’s get the thirteenth annual contest began!
Right here’s how the competition works:
- Choose the earliest date you suppose the primary whale sighting will likely be this coming season. Enter your prediction within the remark part, which is on the backside of this blog post. (Sorry, however we are able to’t settle for guesses emailed to us or feedback on Fb. If you’re studying this text on e mail, go to this post page to enter your remark.)
- When getting into your remark, it’s essential to use a legitimate e mail handle within the e mail area in order that we are able to contact you when/in case your prediction is appropriate. Word that your e mail handle will not be seen with the remark.
- When getting into your remark, you may depart the URL/web site area empty. That’s an optionally available area so that you can use if in case you have your personal web site.
- Word: if you’re a first-time commenter, your remark will first go into moderation. It could as much as 12 hours for us to be alerted. As soon as we’re alerted to it, we are going to approve it, then it would show.
- The closest prediction with out going over will win bragging rights and a duplicate of Fascinating Information About Hawaii by Jim Loomis.
- We’ll use Hawaii newspapers and information stations as our sources to find out the primary whale sighting of this season.
- One entry per particular person will likely be accepted.
- Anybody from all over the world is eligible to enter. We have now a two-time winner from Italy.
- Entries will likely be accepted by way of September 15, 2022. Within the occasion that the primary whale sighting is earlier than September 15, legitimate entries will likely be accepted by way of the day earlier than the reported sighting.
This yr’s prize is a guide of fascinating details about Hawaii by Jim Loomis. Right here’s the picture of the entrance cowl.
Okie dokie, now, put in your whale-thinking cap, take a look on the calendar and remark beneath along with your guess.